14 Aug Learn to Surrender Your Yoga Practice
Not long ago, I had the pleasure of being a guest on the Yoked podcast with Kelly Sunrose. During the conversation which started off mainly talking about prenatal yoga, Kelly and I started to discus the impact of yoga on pregnancy and birth. I was not surprised to hear of the challenging labor, birth and postpartum that Kelly, a very experienced yoga practitioner endured. Kelly’s story, like my own, carried similarities that I had heard from many, many other yoga teachers. Was there a correlation between an advanced practice and a challenging birth?
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, yoga and meditation teacher and host of the podcast Yoked Kelly Sunrose and I discuss our own journeys through pregnancy and the role yoga played. We dive into the challenge of relinquishing a very nurtured yoga practice and coming to peace with accepting a practice and life style. For anyone who as ever found it challenging to surrender, this podcast is for you!
In this episode:
- A bit about Kelly and her yoga practice.
- How Kelly’s approach to yoga has evolved over the years.
- How Kelly, an avid yoga practitioner, approached her first pregnancy.
- How Kelly feels her yoga practice may have impacted her birth.
- Kelly’s recovery from her first birth.
- Upon reflection of Kelly’s first birth- what she learned and how she approached her second pregnancy and yoga practice differently.
- How Kelly’s second birth and postpartum was completely different from her first and the work she did to achieve this.
- Kelly’s observation of how pregnant students and teachers adjust their practice during pregnancy
- How yoga during pregnancy is being addressed in the yoga community both online and in person.
- How Kelly works with expectant and new parents that come to her classes.
- Kelly’s favorite thing about motherhood.
- Kelly’s least favorite thing about motherhood.
- How Kelly’s yoga practice impacted how she raises her children.
- One piece of advice Kelly offers new and expectant parents.
- Where to find Kelly’s work!
Kelly Sunrose has been teaching yoga & meditation since 2006. Her offerings connect traditional practices to the challenges and pace of modern life. Kelly brings yoga philosophy to life by connecting the wisdom of the ages & sages through embodiment, meditation and deep listening. She teaches weekly sound, meditation and movement classes, workshops and in teacher trainings, she leads sound baths and in-depth practice immersions in person and online. Her teachings support students who are as curious about the process of learning as they are the subject itself and who are committed to living the practice. Kelly has been practicing yoga consistently since 1997 and meditation since 1998. Her most influential teachers are Kira (Ryder) Sloane, Erich Schiffmann, Ravi Ravindra and Patricia Sullivan. Kelly lives in Portland, Oregon with her husband, two kids and dog. In her free time, Kelly enjoys gardening, camping, singing and soaking up the medicine of the ocean with friends and family.
Learn more about Kelly at sunroseyoga.com.