13 Feb Community Birth Story: Embracing Your Birth Choices
How might your pregnancy and birth change if you immerse yourself into studying the birth culture in the US? That is exactly how Hedy Iankelevich started her pregnancy journey. On the day she found out she was pregnant, she enrolled in an 85 hour Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training and examined the paradigm of birth in the United States. Through her pregnancy she faced conflict, disappointment, inspiration and eventually found a path of birth that best fit her and her family.
In this episode of Yoga |Birth |Babies, please enjoy this community birth story from Hedy as she explains what she faced when trying to have the birth she envisioned and some surprises of postpartum.
In this episode:
- Learn about Hedy
- How Hedy’s perception of birth change the more she dove into the reality of the birth culture in the US
- Her pregnancy experience
- How her original birth vision changed
- The tipping point that led you to explore the option of a home birth
- Challenges or obstacles Hedy face trying to set up the birth she desired
- How Hedy’s family and friends react when you explained you were hoping to do a home birth
- Hedy’s birth story
- Surprises about her birth and path to parenthood
- What Hedy had thought about, considered or planned for before her birth and transition into motherhood
- One piece of advice for new and expectant parents
- Where to find Hedy’s work
Hedy is a brand new mama, nature lover, traveler and avid crossword puzzler. She works as a Yoga teacher and Franklin Method movement educator in NYC. She has been a student of Yoga since 2003 and teaching since 2010. Her passion is in bringing body-mind awareness into the lives of others. She specializes in working with people new to Yoga, ‘Golden Agers’, and people seeking an intelligent movement practice. Last year she completed her prenatal Yoga teacher training at the Prenatal Yoga Center and loves working with pregnant women through all stages of their beautiful journey. Hedy guides weekly group classes, workshops, private sessions, corporate classes and leads domestic and international retreats. She has taken the last few months off from her teaching to take care of her newborn baby and to learn how to be a mama- which she has come to realize is the most challenging and fulfilling job of all! Hedy is excited to get back to teaching some classes in February and is also looking forward to her continual journey of motherhood.
Hedy will be back teaching February. Tuesdays at 11:15am Senior Stretch and Wednesday night 6pm Beginner Flow- both at Reflections, Center for Conscious Living and Yoga.